Pages

Sunday, April 15, 2012

DIY Baby Food

Here is my hand at DIY baby food!  My husband and I are trying to be "better" for our son and one of the areas we are desperately trying to change is our food.  We have always agreed that we would like to make our own baby food so we could monitor what went in his body.  I am very big on breastfeeding and not wanting artifical items going into his body so making organic baby food just seemed right. 

We have already tried a few foods before today but they have fallen kind of flat with our little man.  We tried avocado first, followed by green beans, bananas and peas.  We did try a mix of avocado and banana together and he seemed to like the mixture better then any of the others plain.  We are in no way pushing our child to eat solids but just offering them to him after a nice full belly of breastmilk.  We tried giving the items a little more solid but he wasn't having it.  It seems for Oliver the runnier the better at the moment. 

We have several busy weekends coming up and our week nights aren't conducive to making food on a regular basis so I have decided to make a bunch and freeze.  I had been doing a lot of research on baby food and found a couple of great sites I am pretty much relying on to get me through the puree stage.  Wholesome Baby Foods, Sweet Peas & Pumpkins and Styleberry Blog.  They are all great but Wholesome Baby Foods is my all time favorite! 

The hubs and I made a trip to our local organic food market since we aren't quite in season for the farmer's market yet.  It was a great time.  I picked out our food and Scott tried to weigh Oliver on the food scale.  He's sitting above 16 lbs!  haha

We picked up the following:

.5 lbs of peas
2 lbs of green beans
A bunch of bananas
2 lbs of plums
2 mangos
4 avocados
5 apples
2 bunches of carrots
3 sweet potatoes
1 acorn squash

No comments:

Post a Comment